The PADOH is mandating all PA schools exclude students whom have not met the immunization requirements by the first five days of school. Students who do not meet these requirements cannot attend school after August 28,2019. We do not want to have to exclude any students and are asking parents to please complete immunization requirements as soon as possible. Exemptions to immunizations such as medical, religious or philosophical reasons will still be accepted as long as it is presented in writing stating objection. Students exempt from immunizations, may be excluded from school during an outbreak. If a student is missing required doses, he/she must obtain the next or final dose within the first five days of school or will be excluded from school. If the requirements are not met, the school administrator shall not admit the child to school nor permit continued attendance.
The PA Department of Health requires students in all grades to have the following properly spaced immunizations for attendance in school:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis *1 dose must be on/after 4th birthday
- 4 doses of polio *3 doses if third dose is given on or after 4thbirthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given.
- 2 doses of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chicken pox) or evidence of immunity
On the first day of 7th grade, the following additional immunizations are required:
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis (Tdap)
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate (MCV)
On the first day of 12th grade, the following additional immunization is required:
- 1 additional dose of meningococcal conjugate (MCV) * If the dose was given at 16 years of age or older, only one dose is required. To be immunized for 12th grade and college dose must be on or AFTER 16th birthday.
Questions may be directed to the Nurse at the building level your child attends.
Students whom still need required immunizations and are covered under private commercial insurance should receive immunizations from their family doctor or may go to UPMC Altoona Walk in Center and must take insurance card and copy of immunizations.
UPMC Altoona Walk-In Center
1414 9th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16602
Monday-Friday 10:00 AM -6:00 PM, Saturday 8:00 AM – Noon.
Students whom have Medicaid, are uninsured or underinsured may call the PA DOH Monday-Friday at 814-946-7300 or 814-248-3120 to schedule an appointment. The new PA mandates only allow for a 5-day grace period and students who do not meet these new requirements cannot attend school after August 28,2019.
Students whom still need immunizations received a letter in the mail regarding Immunizations and need to return required documentation ASAP